In 1959 the state legislature granted the present 6 acre area to the ND National Guard with the idea that it would be available to share the facility with Bismarck Junior College (at the time). The Armory was built adjacent to the campus in 1962. Bismarck Junior College then began using the Armory for physical education, athletics, and hotel retaurant management and paid rent until 1988. Governor George A. Sinner transferred ownership (as the story goes for $1) of the Burleigh County Memorial National Guard Armory to Bismarck State College, officially effective July 1, 1989.
At this time the Armory is occupied by the athletic department and physical education staff and classes.